Web applications include online forms, shopping carts, word processors, spreadsheets, video and photo editing, file conversion, file scanning, and email programs such as Gmail, Yahoo and AOL. Popular applications include Google Apps and Microsoft 365.
Google Apps for Work has Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides, online storage and more. Other functionalities include online sharing of documents and calendars. This lets all team members access the same version of a document simultaneously.
Benefits of a web application
- Web applications run on multiple platforms regardless of OS or device as long as the browser is compatible
- All users access the same version, eliminating any compatibility issues
- They are not installed on the hard drive, thus eliminating space limitations
- They reduce software piracy in subscription-based web applications (i.e. SaaS)
- They reduce costs for both the business and end user as there is less support and maintenance required by the business and lower requirements for the end user’s computer